Thursday, April 1, 2010

5 Years of G.A.S. Smarts

About 5 years ago, my G.A.S. attacks were becoming more intense and more frequent. My Harem Management Strategy was to buy redundant models and thin out the less preferable over time. Well, that has worked somewhat, but I still own one or two completely identical guitars and, consequently, the harem size grew. I found in the process that I could have just as intense a G.A.S. attack over a guitar precisely like one I already owned!! Is that not insane?

I was just wondering:

If I'd known 5 years ago what I know now, how would my G.A.S. attacks and harem be different today?

Here are a few of my thoughts, and I'd like to know yours.

1] I wouldn't buy duplicates or redundant models. I found that even if I do get back to only one of that guitar, it is invariably the one I bought first. It just doesn't work for me. I need to save my G.A.S. attacks for guitars unlike anything I already own.

2] I would have started checking Craigs List sooner. Online auctions are their own brand of fun, but can also lead to disappointments as well as unreasonable shipping costs. I have recently found quite a few really great deals on C.L. I just shudda started sooner.

3] I've only recently started appreciating anything other than a Fender amp. I should have been looking for good, interesting amps as well as guitars.

4] I have found that G.A.S. intensity is greatest when faced with an opportunity to buy a custom built guitar. Dealing with a builder opens so many options and choices that sleep becomes more difficult than ever. Over the last 4 years, I have discovered CP Thornton guitars and have gotten to know Chuck very well. In my opinion he builds the finest, most underpriced guitars on the planet. The fact that the wait from concept to test drive can take 6 - 12 months only compounds the problem..... BUT it is worth the wait. How would knowing this impact my attacks and harem today? I would have started this process sooner. The harem size would be smaller but probably more valuable.

4 comments:

  1. I would have focused more on a smaller number of guitars that I really loved to play, rather than those I believed would increase in value.

    I know I only really like Strat-style guitars and I also would like more Fender's in the mix than G&Ls.

    Yesterday I played a Fender Custom Shop relic that really resonated well, it was a beautiful guitar that I was happy to play acoustically, it was so loud unplugged.

    I have an unplayed limited edition PRS, signed by the man himself, but it gives me little pleasure because I just don't like playing humbucking guitars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently quit smoking. I wish I had quit 10 years ago started a jar to put my smoking money into a box marked "guitars". I just figured out that if I had done that, I could buy one new guitar per year (used) & about one new one every 1 1/2 - 2 years. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that guitar buying were like buying a boat in that the two best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I've often regretted not buying a guitar (fiesta red Strat comes to mind), and I've almost always eventually regretted selling one (Mossman to pay for a Hasselblad). I've "stolen" so many guitars (Martin D35-$200, 1965 Gibson J50-$250) that I still experience sticker shock when I see what they're going for. I don't play mine nearly enough either. I manage to rotate one at a time to the stand in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got it down to 3 guitars now. This is really where I want to be after about 8 years of buying and selling. 2 Groshes and a Collings. Feeling pretty good about it all. Just traded a big Gretsch for a Grosh Strat. Needed a guitar with a wang bar for the surf/spag western stuff. No regrets really, had a 72 Tele get away on me. That is the only one I wish I had back. Readily available but not at the price I initially got it for. Advise? Go for it. Life is not a dress rehearsal.

    ReplyDelete